Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#88649 - 11/26/09 05:00 PM IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend!
Anne's Friend Administrator
Ching Shih

Loc: Cambridge, United Kingdom

The server that hosts the Chicklit Forums is being relocated at some point this weekend, 27-30th November 2009. The relocation would involve some downtime, and the hosting company can't predict exactly when. I'm therefore taking it as a nudge to move the forums to my other server - something that I've been intending to do for a while. Being on the new server should mean that the forums will be faster, and should also increase their availability.

A move like this always involves disruption, because of the time it takes for changes of network address to spread across the Internet. But I'm hoping to keep the downtime to a minimum, and to make it as predictable as possible.

The forums will close on the current server at 12 noon GMT tomorrow, Friday 27th November. I will post details at the forums' front page, and at a new status page ( http://www.isfj.org.uk/chicklit_status.html - bookmark it now!) of how to reach them at their new home, which should be available shortly afterwards. I, and all the other moderators, look forward to seeing you there!

Finally, I'm sorry about the short notice - I was only told about the relocation a couple of days ago, myself!

#88650 - 11/26/09 05:21 PM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: Anne's Friend]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Thanks for the notice, Paul.
#88654 - 11/27/09 08:52 AM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: Kivrin]
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Since I'm here posting at the new location, it looks like it went smoothly - hooray!
#88658 - 11/27/09 10:56 AM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: StephA]
Ching Shih

Thank you, Steph!

Just to confirm what I posted earlier on the 'status' page at http://www.isfj.org.uk/chicklit_status.html, that the change of server is done, and seems to have been successful. Hurrah!

We're operating temporarily at a different URL from normal, at http://www.chicklitforums.org, but I'm hoping that we'll be able to get the normal .com URL pointing to this new server soon.

The different URL means that you will need to log in, even if you've previously told the system to remember who you are. If you have any problems logging in, or if you run into any other problems, my e-mail address is on the status page I mentioned above - just drop me a message, and I'll try to sort things out as quickly as possible.

I'm sorry for the disruption, but I hope that things will work smoothly from here on in...

#88662 - 11/27/09 02:34 PM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: Anne's Friend]
Angiv
Ching Shih

Loc: Scotland

Beautifully done, I'd say. Thank you!
#88674 - 11/29/09 07:00 PM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: Angiv]
Ching Shih

Thank you, Angiv!

There's more good news, in that the usual URL, http://www.chicklitforums.com, is now pointing here, too, and people can now use that again.

So I hope that everything should now be working as it was - but, with the new server, faster!

#88699 - 12/05/09 01:21 AM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: Anne's Friend]
Georgina
Ching Shih

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I didn't even realise anything was going on until I clicked on my bookmarked link and got redirected. Everything's smooth and it doesn't appear anything got lost. Nice job!
#88733 - 12/11/09 08:47 PM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: Anne's Friend]
essay
Ching Shih

Yes, the transition to the new server seems to have gone smoothly--I only knew about the change because Kivrin told me about it.

I did just have a minor glitch, though, which was that when I previewed a reply, I was told that my request was too long and then was kicked out.

It wasn't actually that long a comment, so I'm not sure what happened.

#88738 - 12/14/09 12:27 PM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: essay]
Ching Shih

Thanks, essay, I'm glad that the move didn't cause too much disruption.

I'm not sure I've seen that error message before! It may have been a temporary glitch, perhaps while I was making changes, but if you see it again, could you let me know? You can either PM me (click on my user name next to this post) or e-mail me: paul at chicklitforums dot com . Thank you!

#88743 - 12/15/09 08:03 PM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: Anne's Friend]
essay
Ching Shih

I will, Paul. And thank you once again for your upkeep of this site.
#88752 - 12/17/09 04:48 AM Re: IMPORTANT: the forums are moving this weekend! [Re: essay]
Ching Shih

*blush* And thank you for being here!
Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: