Page 20 of 20 « First<1617181920
Topic Options
#83140 - 05/22/07 09:47 AM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: TraceyB]
Auroranorth
Ching Shih

Congratulations and enjoy having a little more life now!
#83185 - 05/27/07 08:17 PM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: Auroranorth]
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

Thanks! I'm now looking for a job. Eek. It's not so bad since I already have a job, but I'd like to get a professional job that pays more.
#84366 - 09/10/07 10:28 AM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: VegetarianOnHiatus]
vanillabean
Ching Shih

Hey everyone,

So, I'm now at the stage of applying for graduate schools in library science and I'm looking at Wayne State University in Detroit and the University of Illinois. This is preparing me for the fact that if I don't get a job after I graduate in May (not likely), I will at least have another option.

Would anyone that works in a library mind if I ask a few questions (a few q's on issues facing libraries today) through e-mail? It's required for one of my applications and it'd be great if I could receive some input. Thanks! My e-mail is wilso598@msu.edu

Oh, and any type of library is applicable!

Edited by vanillabean (09/10/07 10:29 AM)

#84440 - 09/19/07 07:52 AM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: vanillabean]
Auroranorth
Ching Shih

I just saw this and I'm emailing you now.
#84526 - 10/02/07 03:54 PM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: Auroranorth]
crescentmoon

I just had to say that this thread is incredible. I just did a search on Google for "being a librarian" and found it. I'm so happy I did. I've been contemplating getting my MLIS for awhile and now I believe I just may do it!

I love people. I love children/teens and YA literature (youth would be my focus). I love books, researching, etc. I love helping people. Being a librarian sure does sound like something I may find fulfilling.

Wow, those post sounds cheesy. The thread just inspired me!

#87048 - 11/17/08 02:55 PM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: crescentmoon]
VegetarianOnHiatus
Ching Shih

Loc: Somerville, MA, USA

Have to bump this thread to share my little and belated news!

Did I tell y'all that I got a part-time job as a culinary librarian? I'm still working as a library assistant full-time even though I have my MLS, but this Le Cordon Bleu branch opened up nearby and they needed someone for evening shifts. So now I am working three nights a week doing awesome stuff!

I get to do user instruction, reference, cataloging, circulation, and collection development! I freaking love collection development! And the students are awesome and make me food and it rocks.

#87148 - 12/02/08 07:44 PM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: VegetarianOnHiatus]
vanillabean
Ching Shih

Originally Posted By: VegetarianOnHiatus
Have to bump this thread to share my little and belated news!

Did I tell y'all that I got a part-time job as a culinary librarian? I'm still working as a library assistant full-time even though I have my MLS, but this Le Cordon Bleu branch opened up nearby and they needed someone for evening shifts. So now I am working three nights a week doing awesome stuff!

I get to do user instruction, reference, cataloging, circulation, and collection development! I freaking love collection development! And the students are awesome and make me food and it rocks.

Wow, that sounds so great! I love food and I love books, what a perfect job! I'm currently in the first semester of my MLIS program, on track for a career in academic librarianship.

#89133 - 02/04/10 03:04 PM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: vanillabean]
ruad
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA

Returning to the boards after a while. Graduated with my MLS in March 2009 (Drexel's iSchool program), still looking for work (although I have a non-library job I love, cataloging rare books and photographing them for an antiquarian book dealer). Went to ALA Midwinter for the first time, met a few folks, a little career advice gleaned, resume retooled, ready to find the right next step. Have applied for several likely jobs but not having any luck at all. A bit discouraged. I know I have to just keep trying.
#89138 - 02/04/10 09:16 PM Re: Being a Librarian [Re: ruad]
essay
Ching Shih

Well,hey ruad, congratulations! Having been a housemate of a guy going through the Library drill, I know it's not that easy. I hope you find something in your field soon, but it's pretty great that for now you have a job you love--and that remains related to your career path.
Page 20 of 20 « First<1617181920

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: