Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#89499 - 04/25/10 07:44 AM Moving to Madison, WI
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

Now that I know I'm going to UW-Madison for graduate school for the next three years, I'm trying to find a place to live. I would like to be near the university on the west side (Madison is arrayed around two lakes; the west and east sides are connected by an isthmus).

From my trolling so far, most of the houses for rent near the university are perpetual student rentals (i.e., trashed and old). There is a bus line and lots of bike paths, but most of the houses that I would want to live in (space-wise, elementary school districts for my daughter) are farther out and I'd have to drive to get to a bus line which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm most interested in the following school districts: Franklin-Randall (pretty close apparently); Elm Lawn and Sunset Ridge in Middleton; Olson in Verona; and Van Hise in Madison.

Most apartments/condos are out of the question--not enough space. My last house, that we fit into comfortably, was 1600 sq ft; the house before that was 1200 sq ft and it was a squeeze, (only lived there a year).

I can't seem to get a real estate agent to commit to looking around for me: they all want to wait until I actually arrive which won't be until late July (possibly 4th of July weekend solely for house-hunting). I'm still deployed to Iraq and can't get there any earlier. I'm afraid all the good places will be snapped up, though I can probably afford a better house than most of the students; the new professors would likely be my competition.

Madison is a great town from the two times I've visited and I'm really excited about going to school and living there. It's just frustrating to be so far away and not able to accomplish anything. If anyone is familiar with the area, any and all advice is appreciated!

#89721 - 06/20/10 08:01 PM Re: Moving to Madison, WI [Re: naomism]
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

Found a fabulous apartment after three days of intensive house-hunting. It's plenty of room, in a great location for me and in a good school district for my daughter. It even has paladian doors and lovely arches between the main living spaces.
#89723 - 06/20/10 09:04 PM Re: Moving to Madison, WI [Re: naomism]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Yay! It sounds lovely.
#89724 - 06/21/10 12:56 AM Re: Moving to Madison, WI [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
essay
Ching Shih

Congratulations, Naomism.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to: