Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#89508 - 04/28/10 06:05 PM Help! Title for a children's literature course?
Promethea
Ching Shih

Hello all, wonder if any bright sparks can help me think of a snappy name for a course that I am proposing to teach in an adults' education centre, which will be about classic children's books. The theme will basically be along the lines of how these books (from Little Women & Peter Pan, E. Nesbitt & CS Lewis through to Diana Wynne Jones & Harry Potter) have helped form generations of imaginations; how the books you read in childhood stay with you vividly throughout your life; how childhood portrayed in books has changed; and on the lives of the adults who wrote them. I've been trying to come up with something accessible (it's not a very theory-based course or for credit, just for fun) and was playing around with something perhaps based on The Child That Books Built but with some sort of twist, or maybe something punning on the title of a famous book eg The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe (The Child, The Book And The ..?). But nothing is coming to me and I only have a couple of days before the brochure goes to print! Any suggestions gratefully accepted!
#89511 - 04/29/10 09:59 AM Re: Help! Title for a children's literature course? [Re: Promethea]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Hmm. I totally replied to this thread last night, and yet no post. So, I apologize in advance if I wind up double-posting by accident.

How about The Child, the Book, and the Imagination, Or the Books that Change Kids' Lives or The Child, the Book, and the Imagination: In which books change everything?

Also, I really wish you lived near Philadelphia. I would love a class like the one you describe!

#89512 - 04/29/10 04:15 PM Re: Help! Title for a children's literature course? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Promethea
Ching Shih

Thanks, I wish you could come too! I really like the idea of books that change children's lives - I want to emphasise that the course is for adults so maybe I could have something like: The Books Which Made Us, or The Books Which Changed Our Lives (mind you that doesn't really say that they are children's books). The First Books Which Changed Our Lives? The First Books We Loved?

My other thought was something to do with AS Byatt's The Children's Book, eg The Children's Books. I also thought of a play on When We Were Very Young, but since I'm not planning to include AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh, maybe it's misleading.

Edited by Promethea (04/29/10 04:22 PM)

#89513 - 04/29/10 11:04 PM Re: Help! Title for a children's literature course? [Re: Promethea]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

First Books, Lasting Impressions? Or First Books, Lasting Lessons?
#89514 - 04/30/10 03:01 AM Re: Help! Title for a children's literature course? [Re: CaitlinM2]
Promethea
Ching Shih

Ooh, that's good too.
#89515 - 04/30/10 03:32 PM Re: Help! Title for a children's literature course? [Re: Promethea]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Or if you want a subtitle that explains what the course is about, how about First Books, Lasting Impessions: How Children's Books Make Us Who We Are.
#89517 - 05/01/10 11:42 AM Re: Help! Title for a children's literature course? [Re: CaitlinM2]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Ooh, I like that!
#89524 - 05/04/10 05:22 AM Re: Help! Title for a children's literature course? [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
Promethea
Ching Shih

Have put a couple of suggestions into the department, will let you know what they go for - thanks!
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  sunflow, Masha 
Hop to: