Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#90640 - 02/19/11 11:12 PM Re: November 2010 Selection: Midnight's Children [Re: essay]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I never came back to post after I finished, though it took me an age to do so (slow-reading phase lasted a long time; I was in a state where it took me days to get around to finishing, even though I knew I only had 40 pages left).

Overall, I did really like it. I enjoyed the mixing of the historical and magic realism-as-metaphor to tell the story of the lasting impact of the circumstances of Indian independence and partition. After a bit I was marveling at Saleem's Zelig-like presence at key moments in Pakistan and East Pakistan/Bangladesh, but I thought Rushdie worked the self-conscious coincidences in a clever way, particularly in the ironies at the end, when Saleem raises Shiva's son among Mary Pereira's pickles, and Mary cares for him.

#90641 - 02/20/11 06:45 PM Re: November 2010 Selection: Midnight's Children [Re: CaitlinM2]
essay
Ching Shih

I did not really enjoy the book that much when I first read it, but I really clicked with Satanic Verses, and suspect I would enjoy Midnight's Children a lot more now.

Or have I already said that here upthread somewhere?

edited to add that I apparently said it more than once...

Edited by essay (02/20/11 06:47 PM)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Kivrin, Bear, LaSalleUGirl, PrimulaMary, StephA 
Hop to: