Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#91449 - 02/15/12 05:48 PM Re: February 2012 Selection: Among Others [Re: Kivrin]
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I really liked the book. The form of journal entries worked for me. I believed that Mori was the type to write everything down like that.

I wasn't sure if I believed about the fairies and things like that - and just because Wim said he saw them didn't mean I believed that he did - but I believed that Mori believed in them.

But I agree with LaSalleUGirl that I was considering PTSD as an explanation for people's behaviour.

It never occured to me to really think that aunts were witches.

I have to admit that I have not read most of the books mentioned in this one - 60s-70s science-fiction is just not my thing. (I haven't even read the Earthsea books! Tried a few times, just couldn't get into them.)

I read somewhere there is a sequel planned? I would read that!!

#91465 - 02/28/12 09:39 AM Re: February 2012 Selection: Among Others [Re: StephA]
StephA Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To follow up, I can confirm that Jo Walton has said there will be a sequel.

And in an interview (http://www.sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=2152) she says:
It never crossed my mind that people would doubt the magic. I've read reviews that say I was keeping it deliberately ambiguous in my mind it was unquestionably fantasy. I did the magic that way because this was supposed to be set in the real world, and hello, no magic here! So the magic had to have plausible deniability. I hate books where there's all this magic in the real world and it doesn't change anything and there's no explanation for why not. It's a betrayal of both magic and the world.

Which is interesting, and proves me totally wrong. I did not buy the magic at all. I'm not sure I like it as much with confirmed magic.

#91467 - 02/29/12 03:59 PM Re: February 2012 Selection: Among Others [Re: StephA]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Steph, it's like Walton read our minds, or perhaps this thread? But she seems to have answered us both in the quote from the interview. You preferred it when the magic was unconfirmed. And I liked it better when I thought she was keeping it ambiguous on purpose. It was a good book, but I don't know that I'd read a sequel or anything else by Walton. As LSUG said upthread, there were elements that just didn't work for me.
#91469 - 03/05/12 05:59 PM Re: February 2012 Selection: Among Others [Re: Kivrin]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I came (at this late date) to post about Among Others, and though StephA's quote from Walton takes a bit of the wind from my thoughts about the magic, I'll share them anyway.

I did not think of it as possibly being a manifestation of PTSD, as Mori talks about the sisters both believing in the magic and seeing the fairies. But I did think it could be something the twins together created, perhaps as a way to cope with their mother's craziness. And no, I didn't believe the three aunts were practicing magic.

I also, after the journal entry where Morwenna reveals that she's actually Morganna, expected there to be a big reveal of some kind, and instead all we got was a single sentence about how her family didn't seem to mind her taking her sister's name.

I've never really been a reader of science fiction or fantasy, so I've not rad the lion's share of the books mentioned. Not even the ones from my childhood - got bored of the Narnia books halfway through the series, never could get into the Earthsea books, which I was given as a gift. I did read and reread the three Anne McCaffrey books of which Dragonsinger is the middle. It's a mystery to me why I didn't really encounter Susan Cooper's books (though I've certainly heard of The Dark Is Rising), because I was the right age at the right time. I just got the first two from the library.

Edited by CaitlinM2 (03/05/12 06:00 PM)
Edit Reason: To fix spoiler tags

#91478 - 03/12/12 08:48 AM Re: February 2012 Selection: Among Others [Re: CaitlinM2]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I just finished this over the weekend. I really enjoyed it.

I loved having a protagonist who was discovering books that I was discovering at the same age. Some not on Kivrin's list - Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy books. Too Many Magicians is mentioned specifically, but there are also two collections of short stories. I adore those books and have met no one else who's ever heard of them. Also, I must go re-read Mary Renault.

If there is a sequel, I hope we'll find out why Mor took her sister's identity.

The only other Walton I've read is Tooth and Claw, which I enjoyed very much. Are her other books good?

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Kivrin, Bear, LaSalleUGirl, PrimulaMary, StephA 
Hop to: