Page 17 of 18 « First<1415161718>
Topic Options
#91250 - 12/16/11 10:33 AM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: StephA]
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

CaitlinM2 -- I've also recently watched The Good Wife on DVD and it's totally great! I was initially wary of the case-of-the-week format, but the characters and relationships are so astutely drawn I was completely drawn in. Plus the actors are uniformly excellent and I cannot resist a cast with so many great female characters.

I too succumbed to Downton Abbey and the first season is great fun. The perfect combination of soapy and serious, great acting (Maggie Smith!): perfectly addicting. Then I watched the second season, and while it's still a good show, it also exposed weaknesses in plot and characterization that dulled my love of the show. I'm still addicted, but not quite so ardently.

A great BBC series I have absolutely fallen in love with: Sherlock. It's the best re-imagining of Doyle's stories I've come across, and I'm a bit of a Holmes fan, especially the incarnation of Moriarty. I'm dying for the second season to come out already.

#91251 - 12/16/11 01:56 PM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: Lady Agnew]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Lady Agnew, I'm happy to hear there's more Sherlock to come, because I thought it was brilliant.
#91259 - 12/20/11 10:13 AM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: CaitlinM2]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Sadly, we in the U.S. have to wait until May 2012 for Season 2 of Sherlock on PBS. (I'm guessing it will be available online before that, but that's not an option for me with my prehistoric computer/internet set-up at home.) But, something to look forward to!
#91337 - 01/04/12 09:41 AM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: StephA]
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

I just tore through all of the first season of Game of Thrones - which I love for boiling down everything into a tighter storyline. I can't wait to see what they do with books 4 & 5, which were such bloated monsters.

Also into Hell on Wheels on AMC, the post Civil War/Union Pacific drama, and really enjoying it as well.

Just ordered Boardwalk Empire and eagerly looking forward to it. Folks I know who loved The Wire has convinced me this one is almost as good (The Wire being, hands down, my favorite TV series of all time).

#91360 - 01/05/12 08:03 PM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: viva]
GingerCat
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia

Speaking of HBO shows, I really loved Enlightened. I just found it so human, especially Laura Dern's character/performance.
#91364 - 01/06/12 02:04 AM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: GingerCat]
essay
Ching Shih

I've become a bit addicted to Burn Notice recently.
#91403 - 01/18/12 09:36 PM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: essay]
Lady Agnew
Ching Shih

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA

I've been watching the new series of Sherlock through Internet-y means, and it's good. I've still the last episode to go, and I'm all nervous because once I finish that, it's going to be SO long until I get more.

... as for terrestrial television, new episodes of The Good Wife and Parks and Rec! also, new season of Justified! There is so much good TV and seemingly so little time.

Quote:
(The Wire being, hands down, my favorite TV series of all time).

It's not my favorite (because I will love Buffy the Vampire Slayer the best, always), but The Wire and Simpsons are pretty much the two best TV shows ever. I was debating this with someone recently, how there are so few really good movies being made now, and I was saying most of the quality is on television right now.

#91487 - 03/19/12 06:36 PM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: Lady Agnew]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
(The Wire being, hands down, my favorite TV series of all time).

The Wire is up there on the short-short list of my all-time favorites, and it is, objectively, the best TV series I've ever seen.

Over the past couple of months, I've rewatched the four previous seasons of Mad Men on DVD in anticipation of season 5 finally beginning. I have to say that the producers of this show give more to obsessed fans than those of anything else I've seen: there is a commentary track for every episode of every season on the DVDs, and frequently two, one with actors and one with producers, directors, writers, etc.

I will agree with Lady Agnew that season 2 of Downton Abbey wasn't as great as the great first season, but I was/am still addicted and will be there for the next go-round of Edwardian soap opera.

Still can't get enough of The Good Wife. While the first half of this season was slightly frustrating, it has been kind of awesome lately.

I've Netflixed, and am in the middle of the BBC series Luther, starring Idris Elba as a homicide DCI with temper issues and a weird relationship with a likely sociopathic murderer, and am enjoying it. I also recently watched and enjoyed another BBC series, The Hour, which coincidentally starred Dominic West, catching me up with the British contingent of The Wire.

#91498 - 03/24/12 08:04 PM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: CaitlinM2]
viva
Ching Shih

Loc: Houston TX

Currently hooked on Justified. Raylan Givens, Boyd Crowder, Ava Crowder, Mags Bennett - there are some excellent characters and dialogue. Not to mention that Raylan is exceptionally easy on the eyes.
#91500 - 03/26/12 01:16 PM Re: TV shows you can't get enough of [Re: viva]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

I have become completely, totally, insanely addicted to Supernatural. I watched the first six seasons in two weeks. (That's roughly 145 episodes. Yes, I did that while going to work every day. I am indeed aware that my life has suddenly started resembling that hilarious Portlandia sketch where they watch Battlestar Galactica.)

...And now I'm in the process of rewatching. I mean, obsession is my pop culture MO, but this has reached a whole new level.

I second the love for Sherlock, Downton, Game of Thrones, and Justified.

Page 17 of 18 « First<1415161718>

Moderator:  sunflow, harper 
Hop to: