Page 14 of 15 « First<1112131415>
Topic Options
#84606 - 10/12/07 08:50 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The Caffeine Thread [Re: mini-mart]
Erin W
Ching Shih

Loc: Ohio

I didn't know this thread was here--otherwise I would've come by to sing the praises of hot tea much sooner.

My favorite brands here in the US of A are Bigelow, Celestial Seasonings, and Tazo's "Awake" for the early mornings. Usually I have three or four different flavors in the cupboard (and two in my desk at work), so I can drink them according to mood. When I need to buy more, I just walk up and down that aisle in the grocery store and pick out the ones that sound yummy.

I don't like fruit teas at all--I like black tea, with spices. Right now Beaners has a Cinnamon Spice tea that I love.

I've never cared for coffee, even in all its iced mocha variations.

#84649 - 10/18/07 04:34 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The Caffeine Thread [Re: Erin W]
naomism
Ching Shih

Loc: Iraq

I'm a Twinings person, myself. In my cupboard currently are: (loose leaves) Ceylon Breakfast, Earl Grey, Darjeeling, and Lady Grey; (bags) Prince of Wales and English Afternoon (which they no longer make in a decaf version); (non-Twinings) Choice Organic White.

Love them all!

#84661 - 10/21/07 05:19 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The Caffeine Thread [Re: naomism]
vanillabean
Ching Shih

Black coffee in the morning for me---I tried going without caffeine for a bit, because I know it's not the healthiest for me. It lasted two weeks tops, when I wasn't able to function during the day due to my caffeine withdrawal! I love hot tea at night, decaf, by the Great Lakes Tea and Spice Company. http://www.glteaandspice.com/

Their chamomile is excellent.

#84664 - 10/21/07 10:14 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The Caffeine Thread [Re: vanillabean]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I've had to cut way back on my caffeine consumption. Insomnia. Really bad insomnia. I was fairly used to drinking four or five mugs of very strong black tea each day. There's a definite withdrawal reaction in going from five cups to one per day. Now, I limit myself to one mug of tea in the morning. It's rough, but, I have to say, I am sleeping better at night. And I think it has helped lower my stress level a bit also.

So, I'm looking for strong decaf tea now. I discovered that Bigelow has a decaf Constant Comment, which is nice for the late afternoons. Does anyone know if PG Tips, Yorkshire Gold, or Typhoo make a decaffeinated tea? Has anyone tried the Twinings Chai?

I came across this brand last year some time, Zhena's Gypsy Tea-Gypsy King Chai. It comes pretty close to a perfect tea bag Chai. They also make a very good mint tea, which is almost identical to a Traditional Medicinals one called Gypsy Cold Care, a blessing to have in the house when you aren't feeling well.

#84679 - 10/24/07 10:49 AM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The [Re: Kivrin]
vanillabean
Ching Shih

I've just put in an order for teas at Adagio Tea, which is such a fun site. I don't even know what I ordered! caramel, hibiscus, a green tea, jasmine oolong....

http://www.adagio.com/

They have quite a bit of decaf there as well.

Online shopping is dangerous to my budget! :)

Edited by vanillabean (10/24/07 10:50 AM)

#85330 - 01/11/08 05:27 AM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The [Re: vanillabean]
polly#2
Ching Shih

Loc: Ireland

Any advice about flasks or vacuum mugs?

These mornings I want to make double quantities of coffee or tea at breakfast and sip away during a morning's study. My otherwise perfectly serviceable metal IKEA flask isn't up to the task. Nothing - not a bottle brush, or bulk salt or a cloth wrapped round the handle of a wooden spoon - will clean the tea/coffee/hard water deposit. Anything put in this flask from now on will become a brown tannic caffeinated beverage, coftea.

Advice? Good models of flask? Widemouthed vacuum mugs I'll be able to clean perfectly? Is any flask, no matter how good, going to develop a coffee or a tea identity? Will I have to bite the bullet and invest in two flasks?

#87157 - 12/03/08 01:33 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The [Re: polly#2]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Have any of you seen this hilarious blog post (accompanied by napkin drawings) about the writer's love affair with coffee?

http://tinyurl.com/6lwkpv

I particularly loved the chart of coffee and bagel preferences over time.

#87664 - 04/03/09 12:12 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
grapevyne
Ching Shih

I loved that LaSalleUGirl. I understood his short time with blueberry bagels since my son (17) is going through his own love affair with blueberry bagels right now.

My current love affair is with Indian Mocha Chai. I brew it from loose leaf then add honey and heavy cream. We are currently separated due to my need to lose a few pounds. I hope nobody mentions that I am cheating with Twinings Prince of Wales (loose leaf) and Bigelow Earl Grey (tea bags).

Edited by grapevyne (04/03/09 12:20 PM)

#87666 - 04/03/09 07:56 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The [Re: grapevyne]
Kivrin
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I'm currently enjoying another of Zhena's Gypsy teas--this one is a Raspberry Earl Grey blend and it is so delightful. What a wild combination.
#91944 - 04/07/13 03:15 PM Re: Black Coffee in Bed or Tea and Sympathy? The [Re: Kivrin]
mini-mart
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Having recently given up coffee, I am now a huge fan of the selection at David's Tea. Favourites include Stormy Night (cinnamon and chocolate), Red Velvet Cake (self-explanatory), and Forever Nuts (bright pink and delightful).

I also have a tin of Kiwi's Big Adventure because the name was so damn cute but... yeah, I don't really care for kiwi.

Edited by mini-mart (04/07/13 03:16 PM)

Page 14 of 15 « First<1112131415>

Moderator:  harper 
Hop to: