Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#91967 - 05/31/13 02:10 PM What are the latest books on your to-read list?
StephA
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We have a topic for "What are you reading right now?" and we have a topic for "What are the last five books you bought?" and we have a topic for "What were the last five books you checked out from the library?"

What we don't yet have is this:
What are the last few books you added to your to-read list? (Be it in a paper notebook, on GoodReads, BiblioPhil, Library Thing, or an email to yourself?)

#91968 - 05/31/13 02:16 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: StephA]
StephA
Ching Shih

Here are some of mine:
-The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia by Laura Miller
-Lost in Shangri-la: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff
-To Repair the World: Paul Farmer Speaks to the Next Generation
by Paul Farmer
-A Matter of Magic (Mairelon, #1-2) by Patricia C. Wrede
-Walking to Canterbury: A Modern Journey Through Chaucer's Medieval England by Jerry Ellis

#91969 - 05/31/13 02:58 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: StephA]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

New topic! How long has it been since we had a new topic around this place? Good idea! Good topic, Steph! I keep my list on Goodreads and on a paper notebook in my bag.
Here's the last few, but not all, of my current to-read list:

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves-Karen Joy Fowler
The Silver Star-Jeanette Walls
Doctor Sleep-Stephen King
Joyland-Stephen King
Raven Girl-Audrey Niffenegger
Claire of the Sea Light-Edwidge Danticat
Never At Home-L. Timmel Duchamp
The Color Master: Stories Aimee Bender
The Shore Girl-Fran Kimmel
When I Forgot- Elina Hirvonen
The Woman Who Married A Cloud-Jonathan Carroll
Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm-Thich Nhat Hanh
Far From The Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity-Andrew Solomon
No Time To Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva-Pema Chodron
Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West-Michaela Haas
The Darcy Lott Mystery series-Susan Dunlap

#91975 - 06/05/13 08:32 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: Kivrin]
grapevyne
Ching Shih

In looking at my to-read list I noticed that most of it is influenced by NPR interviews.

Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties-Lucy Moore
In My Fathers Country- Saima Wahab
Odds Against Tomorrow-Nathaniel Rich
The Girls Of Atomic City-Denise Keirnan
Let's explore diabetes with owls-David Sedaris

#91976 - 06/05/13 09:03 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: grapevyne]
Caryl
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Loc: U.S.

The most recent additions to my Goodreads TBR list are from suggestions given on a Goodreads group that follows the Morning News' Tournament of Books:

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi
How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid
Tenth of December by George Saunders
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra

#91995 - 06/12/13 01:55 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: Caryl]
dovey104
Ching Shih

Loc: st. paul, mn

Recent additions to my TBR list (Goodreads, notebooks, scraps of paper) include the following:

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls audio - David Sedaris
The Signature of All Things - Elizabeth Gilbert
The Last Train to Zona Verde - Paul Theroux
I Hate to Leave This Beautiful Place - Howard Norman
Revenge Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger
Sisterland - Curtis Sittenfeld
Trains and Lovers - Alexander McCall Smith
The Woman Upstairs - Claire Messud

#92153 - 09/08/13 03:47 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: dovey104]
StephA
Ching Shih

I'm adding a ton to my to-read list based on today's Captain Awkward "what books do you recommend to everyone?" thread: http://captainawkward.com/2013/09/08/the-books-you-always-recommend-open-thread/

Please feel free to come on over and contribute!!

#92154 - 09/08/13 08:11 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: StephA]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I've read only 5 out of the 16 books I posted upthread, and now I have added a few more books to that never-ending list:

Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood, of course! Closes the trilogy which began with Oryx and Crake!
This is the Story of a Happy Marriage. Memoir by Ann Patchett. Love her fiction, not sure I've read her nonfiction.
Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope and Repair by Anne Lamott. Follow-up to Help, Thanks, Wow.
The Circle by Dave Eggers. Looks intriguing. Female protagonist...
The Daylight Gate by Jeanette Winterson. Witches. Historical. And knowing Winterson, magical.
A Guide to Being Born: Stories by Ramona Ausubel. I've heard good things, and I am in a strong short story phase lately.
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende

#92324 - 01/29/14 03:53 PM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: Kivrin]
StephA
Ching Shih

My to-read list just got a bunch bigger after I read this post: Most Anticipated Science Fiction & Fantasy Books Written By Women (to be published in 2014)

http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.ca/2014/01/2014-most-anticipated-science-fiction.html

What I added:
*The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin
*The Goblin Emperor - Katherine Addison
*The Copper Promise - Jen Williams
*The Three: A Novel - Sarah Lotz
*Moth and Spark - Anne Leonard
*Three Princes - Ramona Wheeler
*Fortune's Pawn (Paradox, #1) - Rachel Bach (the sequel is on the list)
*The Tropic of Serpents (Memoir by Lady Trent #2) - Marie Brennan (this is the sequel to the first book that I'm about to start reading!)
*Mayhem - Sarah Pinborough

Edited by StephA (01/29/14 04:04 PM)

#92325 - 01/30/14 09:44 AM Re: What are the latest books on your to-read list? [Re: StephA]
TraceyB
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood, of course! Closes the trilogy which began with Oryx and Crake!

That one's going on my to-read list. I should re-read the first two. When I read The Year of the Flood, I'd forgotten so much of Oryx and Crake, I'm sure I missed stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: