Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>
Topic Options
#34558 - 04/05/06 01:41 PM Re: Status names
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

I love the pioneering dancers idea, and I just had to give majael props for making me laugh my head off with "Elisabeth Bathory (from real life)." Hee.

How about feminist theorists?

Betty Friedan (RIP)
Simone de Beauvoir
Gilbert and Gubar
Helene Cixous
Luce Irigaray
Julia Kristeva

#34559 - 04/06/06 08:26 AM Re: Status names
Ada_Doom
Ching Shih

Loc: Worcester, UK

It might be a bit contentious, but what about female world leaders? My (heavily-edited) list is:

Ellen Johnstone-Sirleaf
Aung San Suu Kyi (by right if not in practice)
Mary Robinson
Sirimavo Bandaranaike
Kim Campbell

If any of those are objectionable or too obscure, you could also have Benazir Bhutto, Indira Ghandi, or Angela Merkel. Not Margaret Thatcher however - I refuse to be her every time I post (hence I thought the theme might be too contentious!).

(Edited because I can't spell)

#34560 - 04/09/06 09:47 PM Re: Status names
majael
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Fictional baseball players (still not in any particular order):

• Jennifer T. Rideout (created by Michael Chabon)
  • Patricia ("Peppermint Patty") Reichardt (created by Charles Schulz)
  • Linda Sunshine (created by Barbara Gregorich)
  • Virna Wilton (created by Alison Gordon)
  • Julia Nevez (created by Sparky Lyle)

ETA: Female pirates.

Real:
  • Anne Bonny
  • Mary Read
  • Cheng I Sao
  • Charlotte de Berry
  • Gráinne ni Mhaille (the Pirate Queen of Connacht)

Fictional:
  • Nancy Blackett, Captain of the Amazon (created by Arthur Ransome)
  • Minerva Sharpe (created by Celia Rees)
  • Lai Choi San, the Dragon Lady (created by Milton Caniff from the memoirs of Aleko E. Lilius)
  • Black Sheba the She-Wolf (created by George MacDonald Fraser)
  • Captain Joanna da Silva y Montreale, a.k.a. La Culebra (created by Jeffery Farnol)

#34561 - 05/17/06 02:26 PM Re: Status names
Auroranorth
Ching Shih

Women presidential candidates from around the world, successful, unsuccessful and we-don't-know?

*Victoria Woodhull (US, 1872, 1892)
*Prudencia Ayala (El Salvador, 1930)
*Fatima Jinnah, (Pakistan, 1963)
*Vigdís Finnbogadóttir (Iceland, first woman in the world elected president, 1980-1996)
*Mary Robinson (Ireland, 1990-1997)
*Ségolène Royal (France, current)

#34562 - 05/17/06 04:45 PM Re: Status names
Ludmilla
Ching Shih

Loc: USA

oooh... I love the female, fictional pirate suggestion (and coolly competent swordswomen, too)!
#34563 - 05/22/06 09:12 PM Re: Status names
mst78
Ching Shih

Loc: Tennessee

Has a decision been made on which status names we will be changing to?
#34564 - 06/02/06 12:35 AM Re: Status names
Priscilla
Gráinne ni Mhaille

Can I revive a suggestion from last year that I don't think got used? Kidlit heroines who want to become authors...I've resurrected last year's picks:

Anne Shirley, from Anne of Green Gables

Emily Starr, another LMM heroine, of course...if you had to pick one, I'd go with her. She's far more passionate about becoming a writer than Anne. And besides, she's a little more "obscure", isn't she?

Jo March, from Little Women

Joey Bettany, from the Chalet School books

Francie Nolan, from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Rebecca Randall, from Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Vicky Austin, from Madeleine L'Engle's Austin family series

And two others who were suggested last time, which I haven't heard of:
Betsy Ray
Tish Sterling

#34565 - 06/02/06 11:38 AM Re: Status names
SoIAmGlad
Ching Shih

Loc: Pennsylvania

I'm only half-kidding when I suggest taking a cue from this McSweeneys\' list of roller derby names for lit majors as our status names.

Quote:
Tess of the D'Urberkills

Anna Scar-enina

Maul Flanders

Jane Scare
Maybe closer to Halloween? Maybe never . . .

#34566 - 06/02/06 01:10 PM Re: Status names
Perthelia
Ching Shih

Loc: Issaquah, Washington

SoIAmGlad, that sounds like the credit roll at the end of a Halloween Simpsons special, hehe.
#34567 - 06/05/06 09:10 AM Re: Status names
Priscilla
Gráinne ni Mhaille

That's a good one, SoIAmGlad ;\)

On topic, I was just randomly thinking of other status name possibilities and remembered that someone had earlier suggested women Nobel Prize winners. I thought there would be way too many to choose from such a list, and I headed to the Nobel website to discover just how many women had won the Literature Prize anyway. Get this: ten. Just ten women have won that prize in over a century! I mean, I don't think the Nobel is the standard of literary achievement, but still, a measly figure like ten?! I ask you!

Anyway, here's the list: (I copied out the quotes from their citations. Let's honour them, the lonely ten.)

Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf, Sweden, 1909 -- "in appreciation of the lofty idealism, vivid imagination and spiritual perception that characterize her writings"

Grazia Deledda, (pen-name of Grazia Madesani, née Deledda), Italy, 1926 -- "for her idealistically inspired writings which with plastic clarity picture the life on her native island and with depth and sympathy deal with human problems in general"

Sigrid Undset, Norway, 1928 -- "principially for her powerful descriptions of Northern life during the Middle Ages"

Pearl Buck, (pen-name of Pearl Walsh, née Sydenstricker), USA, 1938 -- "for her rich and truly epic descriptions of peasant life in China and for her biographical masterpieces"

Gabriela Mistral, (pen-name of Lucila Godoy y Alcayaga), Chile, 1945 -- "for her lyric poetry which, inspired by powerful emotions, has made her name a symbol of the idealistic aspirations of the entire Latin American world"

Nelly Sachs, Sweden, 1966 -- "for her outstanding lyrical and dramatic writing, which interprets Israel's destiny with touching strength"

Nadine Gordimer, South Africa, 1991 -- "who through her magnificent epic writing has - in the words of Alfred Nobel - been of very great benefit to humanity"

Toni Morrison, USA, 1993 -- "who in novels characterized by visionary force and poetic import, gives life to an essential aspect of American reality"

Wislawa Szymborska, Poland, 1996 -- "for poetry that with ironic precision allows the historical and biological context to come to light in fragments of human reality"

Elfriede Jelinek, Austria, 2004 -- "for her musical flow of voices and counter-voices in novels and plays that with extraordinary linguistic zeal reveal the absurdity of society's clichés and their subjugating power"

I've read Pearl Buck and Toni Morrison and since the Nobel website included a link to a Nadine Gordimer short story, I've read something of her too. But I must admit that's it. I did see a translation of Jelinek's novel (I think it was called The Piano Teacher) during a random bookshop browse last week. Has anyone read it? And are English translations available for any of the other writers on this list?

ETA that I just realised there's another thread discussing literary award winners and the abysmally low count of women awardees. Oh well, I made the discovery via Chicklit status name speculations.

Page 12 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: