Page 13 of 14 « First<1011121314>
Topic Options
#34568 - 06/05/06 09:40 AM Re: Status names
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Priscilla, one of my English department colleagues just taught a course on Women Nobel Winners, so I'm fairly certain that texts for most of the authors are available in English. I can't find her syllabus online, but if I can get in touch with her, I'll report details in the Literary Awards thread.

I really like the idea of using the Nobel winners as status names (although, since I've always wanted to be Marie Curie, it might be cool to include non-literature winners as well).

#34569 - 07/23/06 09:44 PM Re: Status names
majael
Ching Shih

Loc: Toronto

Bump.
#34570 - 07/28/06 06:36 AM Re: Status names
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

New names, finally!

Since this seems to be the summer of pirates, I went with majael's suggestion of female pirates.

#34571 - 07/28/06 11:52 AM Re: Status names
polly#2
Ching Shih

Loc: Ireland

Arrrrr.
#82428 - 04/04/07 10:51 PM Re: Status names [Re: omega]
deborah Administrator
Chief Bibliofreak
Ching Shih

Loc: Funkytown

It looks like our status names disappeared in the move, and I'm not sure if we can still have them. I'll investigate. In the meantime, let's have suggestions for new ones...
#83426 - 06/14/07 06:28 PM Re: Status names [Re: deborah]
majael
Ching Shih

After only two months and change, my first suggestion:

Female leaders of the far-future teen superhero group the Legion of Super-Heroes:

- Imra Ardeen aka Saturn Girl
- Nura Nal aka Dream Girl
- Projectra aka Sensor Girl
- Jazmin Cullen aka Kid Quantum

If we need a fifth, the Legion is due to elect a new leader in their next issue, and it's going to be a girl; we just don't know which one yet. (Possibilities include Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl, Tasmia Malor aka Shadow Lass, and Theena, who isn't a superhero at all, although she is a neat character and would make the best leader of the three.)

#83445 - 06/15/07 04:16 PM Re: Status names [Re: majael]
majael
Ching Shih

I guess I'll just chime in with these every so often.

Fictional female cats:

- Princess Arjumand, from the Connie Willis novel 'To Say Nothing of the Dog'
- Tao, from the novel 'The Incredible Journey'
- Firsa Roofshadow, from the Tad Williams novel 'Tailchaser's Song'
- Rhiow, from Diane Duane's novels 'The Book of Night With Moon' and 'To Visit the Queen'
- mehitabel, from the Don Marquis... writings... about archy and mehitabel, including the musical 'Shinbone Alley'

#83461 - 06/17/07 11:47 AM Re: Status names [Re: majael]
JohnConstantine
Ching Shih

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Originally Posted By: majael
After only two months and change, my first suggestion:

Female leaders of the far-future teen superhero group the Legion of Super-Heroes:

- Imra Ardeen aka Saturn Girl
- Nura Nal aka Dream Girl
- Projectra aka Sensor Girl
- Jazmin Cullen aka Kid Quantum

If we need a fifth, the Legion is due to elect a new leader in their next issue, and it's going to be a girl; we just don't know which one yet. (Possibilities include Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl, Tasmia Malor aka Shadow Lass, and Theena, who isn't a superhero at all, although she is a neat character and would make the best leader of the three.)

Hee! I like this. Don't forget about one of my favorite Legionnaires, Tinya Wazzo aka Phantom Girl aka Phase! (She was never a Legion leader, but was always one of the critical Legionnaires and a total badass) This does my geeky little comic book-lovin' heart good...

#83462 - 06/17/07 01:23 PM Re: Status names [Re: JohnConstantine]
majael
Ching Shih

I would never forget about Phantom Girl; she's been among my favourites at times too. (And she'd make a better leader, at the moment, than Shady or Supergirl.) She's just not one of the odds-on favourites at the moment, though.
#83463 - 06/18/07 07:15 AM Re: Status names [Re: majael]
Bear
Ching Shih

Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oooh, I like the cat one, not leaset because my own cat, Ju Ju, is named after Princess Arjumand...
Page 13 of 14 « First<1011121314>

Moderator:  StephA 
Hop to: