Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#92117 - 08/27/13 11:30 PM October 2013: The Light Between Oceans
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Last Sunday, I was in a local indie bookstore to buy birthday presents for a friend's son. As I stood in line, I looked longingly at the featured shelf right next to the door. I've been so busy that I have had no time or focus to read at all (as in, I cannot even manage to get through a comic book or a chapter of Harry Potter).

One of the books that caught my eye was The Light Between Oceans. I had completely forgotten that we chose it for October, so I was quite pleased to see that I'll get to go back to Big Blue Marble and pick up a copy.

M.L. Stedman's The Light Between Oceans is the story of Tom and Isobel, an Australian couple reeling from the aftereffects of the Great War and of the gutwrenching loss of miscarriages and infant mortality. When they hear crying one night from their lighthouse home, they go out to find a boat housing a dead man and a baby. Stedman explores the consequences of their decision to keep quiet and raise the baby, particularly once they move to the mainland and rejoin a community -- which may know more about this mysterious boat than Tom and Isobel reckoned on.

Discussion begins October 15. Happy reading!

#92141 - 09/03/13 11:02 AM Re: October 2013: The Light Between Oceans [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

*bump* Just your friendly neighborhood Book Club moderator reminding you that our discussion of The Light Between Oceans starts on October 15!
#92184 - 10/01/13 09:49 PM Re: October 2013: The Light Between Oceans [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

*bump* Discussion of The Light Between Oceans starts on October 15!
#92202 - 10/16/13 07:34 PM Re: October 2013: The Light Between Oceans [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
LaSalleUGirl Moderator
Ching Shih

I find that I'm not quite sure what to say about A Light Between Oceans. It doesn't seem right to say that I liked a book that describes such sad events. Maybe I'll just explain the circumstances under which I read it:

This past weekend, I went camping during my university's Fall Break for four days. On the second day in the afternoon, I remembered that I was supposed to start a discussion about the book, so I picked it up to start reading it. I had gotten through about a third of it before bed. I slept badly and wound up wide-awake at 2:00 AM. I figured I would read for a while to try to lull myself back to sleep. Two hours later, I was sobbing quietly in my tent in pitch blackness, trying not to wake any of my fellow campers. I had read the entire rest of the book in one frenzied jag.

So, I hesitate to say that I LIKED the book, but I could.not.put.it.down. I thought that Stedman did an amazing job of making all of the characters' motivations understandable, even when I didn't agree with their choices. Although characters make questionable decisions, they are not bad people (well, except for the mob a$$holes who killed Frank, but they are not POV characters).

#92209 - 11/04/13 01:40 AM Re: October 2013: The Light Between Oceans [Re: LaSalleUGirl]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm quite willing to say I that I liked this book, because I found it very well crafted and absorbing. It's true that just about all the major characters make questionable (at best, in some cases) decisions, but I agree that she makes their motivations understandable and them for the most part empathetic. I certainly read on with a bit of a sense of dread for all, because it was hard not to see where things would end up from the moment the boat was beached. Given all that, I was a bit surprised by how things came out in the epilogue - I expected things to end on a sad, rather than bittersweet, note.
#92459 - 08/28/15 07:06 PM Re: October 2013: The Light Between Oceans [Re: CaitlinM2]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

The Light Between Oceans has been made into a film.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Kivrin, Bear, LaSalleUGirl, PrimulaMary, StephA 
Hop to: