Page 293 of 295 « First<291292293294295>
Topic Options
#92433 - 08/30/14 11:47 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: UCLAgirl]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I read a brief novel, Daughters of the Revolution, by Carolyn Cooke, and while at the library, picked Fifty Grand, a standalone by Adrian McKinty, off the shelf. It is very different from the Troubles trilogy--it takes place in Cuba and Colorado, and the protagonist is a woman--but not surprisingly, the writing is very good.
#92434 - 08/30/14 01:31 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
essay
Ching Shih

I thought it was excellent, Caitlin. I wish he'd do a sequel, but I haven't heard about any plans for that. I have long thought it would make a great movie for Clint Eastwood to direct.
#92435 - 08/30/14 01:40 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: essay]
essay
Ching Shih

Also, for those of you who like previews McKinty has just put up the first 5 chapters of Gun Street Girl, the fourth Sean Duffy. It's a work in progress, but looks very likely to become a reality now.

Here's the link, which I unfortunately don't know how to do in UBB code:

http://adrianmckinty.blogspot.com.au/p/1-ascanner-darkly-sssssssssssssssssssss.html

I am not sure if I'm going to read the preview or wait for the whole thing.

#92436 - 08/31/14 08:14 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: deborah]
UCLAgirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Los Angeles

I just finished The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson, which was an odd title to read considering that UCLAdaughter and her small cousins were in the pool for the last several days--but I did like it. I always wish Jackson's books were longer. She tells her stories well; I just want more.

I'm a tiny bit into The Memory Garden by Mary Rickert, and am hopeful. She's a new author for me, but I like her style so far.

#92438 - 09/03/14 09:40 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: UCLAgirl]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Essay, I think I'll try to wait on those Gun Street Girl chapters, although it's very tempting to dive right in. I'll bet you have finished reading them by now!

I've been reading The Last Policeman series by Ben Winters. About to start the third. It's another well written trilogy, and I can say that without having begun the last book because I know it's going to be as great as the first two!

Also currently reading a book called The Last Days of California. I like the writing enough to seek out her short story collection.

I just finished reading The Bear by Claire Cameron. I don't know if I really enjoy books written from a child's-eye point of view, but this one held my attention more than Room did.

#92439 - 09/05/14 03:16 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Kivrin]
CaitlinM2

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

I can very much see what you mean, essay, about Fifty Grand making a good Clint Eastwood-directed film. It's got the right atmosphere and setting. Anyway, I thought it was very good, no surprise. I'm looking forward to Gun Street Girl, but I think I'll also skip the preview and wait for the whole thing next year. Thanks to Chicklit, I not only discovered McKinty but turned a friend on to his books, which she is loving.

I went from Fifty Grand right on to another psychological thriller/mystery, Tana French's new book, The Secret Place. It's structured a bit differently than her previous books, in that it's not only a straight-ahead first-person narrative from the point of view of the detective (in this case a very minor character in Faithful Place, whom it took me a bit to place), but in alternate chapters also uses third-person narrative to explore the setting of the crime (a girls' boarding school), and the girls at the center of the investigation.

#92440 - 09/05/14 03:24 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: CaitlinM2]
essay
Ching Shih

I haven't read Tana French yet, I'm not sure why. I should round out my Irish crime reading with at least a couple female crime writers.

I wasn't going to read the preview either, but did, and I don't think I'm going to have any trouble rereading it when the whole book comes out. His writing is very dense with detail, at least in this series, I think.

#92441 - 09/06/14 02:07 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: essay]
essay
Ching Shih

Kivrin will likely have already seen this, but Adrian McKinty just won the Ned Kelly award for In the Morning I'll Be Gone, a very big prize in Australia. And it's about time, too.
#92442 - 09/08/14 06:25 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: essay]
Kivrin Moderator
Ching Shih

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

I hadn't seen that, essay. Nice. My husband just finished McKinty's Falling Glass, so I'm about to start reading it. Loved Ben Winter's The Last Policeman trilogy and will recommend it to you all. I tried reading Edan Lepucki's California because I do love post-apocalyptic fiction, or pre-apocalype, in the case of the Winters novels, but I was truly bored by it. Truly. Bored. Of course, I picked it up right after I finished the Winters trilogy so comparisons were inevitable...sorry, Ms. Lepucki.
#92444 - 10/06/14 01:13 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Kivrin]
LaSalleUGirl
Ching Shih

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA

Well, geez, I'm an idiot. I've been checking the page religiously every day, but never noticed that my computer logged me out. No wonder it never looks like there are any posts...Yeesh.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of re-reading The Drums of Autumn, after having lost my damn mind and read Diana Gabaldon's entire literary output in the space of three months. I am obsessed.

Page 293 of 295 « First<291292293294295>

Moderator:  Kivrin, FishDreamer 
Hop to: